Doctoral candidates at the ZfL receive fellowships from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) with funds from its research program budget. All dissertation projects correspond to the ZfL’s research areas in fields such as the history of science, literary studies, and cultural studies. The ZfL occasionally also hosts candidates that are funded by outside grants.
Announcements for doctoral scholarships are published in the News section.
Current Dissertation Projects
- Living Houses. Literary ›Biotectures‹ of the 20th and 21st Centuries
- Speaking/Speeches About Poetry
- World in Weimar. Goethe's »Römische Elegien« and the Augustan Poetry
- ›Total Strangers‹? The Figure of the Autistic in Science and Literature
- Behavioural Knowledge. Scenes of writing and observing behaviour at the Zoological Institute of the Humboldt University in Berlin (1948–1968)
- Journalistic Forms of Theory. The journal “alternative” (1958–1982)
Several researchers at the ZfL are qualified to advise doctoral theses regardless of the candidate’s institutional or financial affiliation. Their academic rank allows them to serve as either primary advisors or committee members.
- PD Dr. Patrick Eiden-Offe, Universität Duisburg-Essen: Modern German Literature and Cultural Theory and History
- Prof. Dr. Eva Geulen, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Cultural Theory and History and Modern German Literature, Freie Universität Berlin: Friedrich Schlegel Graduiertenschule
- PD Dr. Ernst Müller, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Philosophy
- PD Dr. Falko Schmieder, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Cultural Theory and History
- Prof. Dr. Detlev Schöttker, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Modern German Literature
- PD Dr. Georg Toepfer, Universität Bamberg: Philosophy
- Prof. Dr. Daniel Weidner, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Cultural Theory and History and Modern German Literature