Annual Theme 2017/18: Diversity
Diversity means different things: diversity management is increasingly an integral component of organizational and corporate structures; in the United Nations Decade on Biodiversity, biodiversity has become a key political concept combining the struggle to protect nature with its sustainable, equitable exploitation; on a political level, diversity indicates respect for different identities and the effort to provide equal and fair access to political and social life for all. But precisely this appreciation of plurality has recently come under fire, as witnessed by an article from November 2016 in the New York Times which claimed that the “the fixation on diversity” was in part responsible for the results of the American presidential election.
In 2017/18 the ZfL will devote its Annual Theme to the concept of diversity and the current struggles surrounding it.
Initiating our investigations are three contributions that can be read on our blog, or in our brochure. Ernst Müller and Falko Schmieder trace some of the most relevant stages in the history of the relatively recent concept of diversity. They thereby open up new perspectives on processes of interdisciplinary translation – between biology and social theory, between ‘nature’ and ‘culture’ – that have contributed to the concept’s rich current pertinence. Eva Axer’s article on Johann Gottfried Herder demonstrates that the unity of cultural diversity and plurality was already an issue in 18th century philosophy. Back then, the construction of analogies between culture and nature placed diversity within a larger analytical system, which revolved around an enduring interest in archetypes. In his text, Georg Toepfer examines the concept of biodiversity and unpacks which biological precepts undergird its current programmatic embrace. What is the relationship between ecological activism and the production of biological knowledge? Which modes of representation are suited to embodying, or visualizing the plenitude and diversity of life?
Representing Diversity: the title of the ZfL’s annual conference, which will take place in January 2018, highlights the institute’s interest in the literary and cultural dimensions of the topic. The conference will investigate perspectives on diversity that interrogate the concept’s underlying constructions, its forms and formats, the narratives and paradigms that bolster the idea of diversity, as well as the modes of representation that either seek to bring order to variety, or simply try to avoid it. Analyzing diversity as a concept in this manner necessitates creating a space of analytic distance in which judgment is suspended. Only then can we investigate diversity’s manifold representations in their full plurality. This modus operandi is not, however, apolitical – for the central question that we aim to address is how diversity has become a normative concept, and what political and cultural consequences this continues to carry with it.
Further events that relate to the theme of diversity are our annual Summer Academy for young scholars that addressed Genealogies of Diversity; an interdisciplinary conference that is planned for 2019, examining the concept of Extinction – of biological species, threatened languages, social classes, or literary genres; the Literaturtage will interrogate the elusive figure of the Sonderling (the eccentric, oddball, or outsider) as a figure of singularity, or particularity.
Brochure [in German]:
ZfL ANNUAL THEME 2017/18:
Order your printed copy for free!
Eva Geulen, Daniel Weidner, Stefan Willer
- Diversität, begriffsgeschichtlich
Ernst Müller, Falko Schmieder
- Was heißt Einheit in der Mannigfaltigkeit? Johann Gottfried Herders Kulturtheorie
- Dirk Naguschewski: Diversität, philatelistisch, in: ZfL Blog, 22 Feb 2023
- Gianna Zocco: A “Modest Monument” Awaiting Completion. Gianna Zocco Talks to Jean-Ulrick Désert and Dorothea Löbbermann about the W. E. B. Du Bois Memorial at the Humboldt University of Berlin, in: ZfL Blog, 16 Jul 2020
- Matthias Schwartz: Geschichte als ununterbrochene Performance. Das Queer Archives Institute, in: ZfL Blog, 3 Sep 2019
- Sharon Macdonald: Diverse Museum Diversities, in: ZfL Blog, 20 Oct 2018
- Albrecht Koschorke: Auf der anderen Seite des Grabens, in: ZfL Blog, 20 Aug 2018
- David Kaldewey: “In the name of diversity”: Zur Neuformierung studentischen Protests an amerikanischen Universitäten, in: ZfL Blog, 16 Jul 2018
- Jutta Müller-Tamm: Ordnung des Diversen. Typeneinteilungen um 1900, in: ZfL Blog, 7 Jun 2018
- Mona Körte, Georg Toepfer & Stefan Willer: Einleitung zur ZfL-Jahrestagung “Diversität darstellen” (11./12. Januar 2018), in: ZfL Blog, 24 May 2018
- Stefan Willer: Zum “Europäischen Jahr des Kulturerbes” (I): Kultur als Erbe, in: ZfL Blog, 5 Mar 2018
- Stefan Willer: Kakelbunt. Diversität auf Plattdeutsch, in: ZfL Blog, 10 Nov 2017
- Daniel Weidner: Die Welt ist nicht genug. Ottmar Ette über die “Literaturen der Welt,” in: ZfL Blog, 23 Oct 2017
- Eva Axer: Was heißt Einheit in der Mannigfaltigkeit? Johann Gottfried Herders Kulturtheorie, in: ZfL Blog, 15 May 2017
- Georg Toepfer: Biodiversität, in: ZfL Blog, 5 May 2017
- Mona Körte: Raoul Schrotts “Erste Erde. Epos.” Die Geburt des Universums in einer untoten Gattung, in: ZfL Blog, 11 Apr 2017
- Ernst Müller, Falko Schmieder: Diversität, begriffsgeschichtlich, in: ZfL Blog, 1 Apr 2017
ZfL, Schützenstr. 18, 10117 Berlin, 3. Et., Trajekte-Tagungsraum
Genealogies of Diversity. Contexts and figurations of a controversial concept
ZfL, Schützenstr. 18, 10117 Berlin, 3. Et.
Matthias Schwartz/Dirk Naguschewski (ZfL): »Du bist Deutschland«. Diversität als Werbeziel
Museum für Kommunikation, Leipziger Str. 16, 10117 Berlin