Job advertisement: 4 Positions as Postdoc Researcher, Project “Archipelagic Imperatives: Shipwreck and Lifesaving in European Societies since 1800”
The LEIBNIZ CENTER FOR LITERARY AND CULTURAL RESEARCH (ZfL) in Berlin invites applications for:
4 Positions as Postdoctoral Researcher
in the ERC Consolidator Grant Project Archipelagic Imperatives: Shipwreck and Lifesaving in European Societies since 1800 (PI: Henning Trüper)
From 1 April 2021, limited term contract for 3 years
Salary grade corresponds to Level E-13 German Sector Employment Scheme TVöD (Bund), Fulltime.
The ERC Project investigates the history of a particular moral norm, the imperative of saving lives from shipwreck, that emerged in the ambit of volunteer lifeboat movements from the 1820s onward. On this basis, the project aims to contribute a better understanding of the history of humanitarianism and the historical character and cultural implications of moral norms in general.
The positions are attached to one of the following sub-areas of the overall project:
- Humanitarianism and Sovereignty
- Humanitarianism and Moral Technologies
- Imageries of Shipwreck and Rescue at Sea in the Modern Era
- Interrelations and Claims to Generality in the History of Humanitarianism
For further information about the project and the sub-areas, please visit: https://www.zfl-berlin.org/files/zfl/downloads/projekte/archipelagische_imperative/ERC_CoG_2019_B1_Trueper_ZfL_Presentation.pdf
- Completed PhD in a relevant humanities or cultural/social sciences discipline
- Substantial track record of scholarly publications
- Ability to work on the topic of the project, both individually and in a team
- Willingness to work in an interdisciplinary research context and collaborate with international, national, and in-house cooperation partners
- English-language proficiency necessary; working knowledge of German desirable
- International research experience desirable
- Conducting research in the framework of the project
- Writing scholarly publications (articles, possibly monograph) in the framework of the project
- Collaboration in the design and organization of, and participation in, scholarly events (workshops, conferences, etc.) within the framework of the project
- Active participation in collective project activities and relevant activities at ZfL
What we offer:
- A vibrant international and interdisciplinary research environment
- Opportunities to connect widely with other institutes in Berlin and elsewhere
- Opportunities for further education
- Opportunities for teaching at university level
- Family-friendly work environment
The application has to contain the following documents:
- Letter of motivation including statement of applicant’s interest in the ERC project and respective sub-area (max. 3 pages)
- CV including list of publications
- Degree certificates
- 2 representative writing samples (articles, dissertation chapters)
- Names and addresses of 2 potential referees
Please send your application, exclusively in electronic format and as a single pdf document, to PD Dr. Henning Trüper, firstname.lastname@example.org.
ZfL is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to increasing the number of female employees and therefore explicitly encourages female scholars to apply. Applications from persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged and will be given preference in case of equal aptitude and ability.
By submitting their application, applicants agree with the storage and processing of personal data pertinent to this job search, in accordance with German legislation on data protection (Art. 13 DSGVO).
Application deadline: 19 October 2020.